Saturday, November 27, 2004

a different thanksgiving...

Wednesday night we departed L.A. to fly to Boston. We got to Boston at 6:00 a.m., Thursday and took the "T" to Kendall/MIT, Cambridge station and walked all the way to our hotel, about 1.5 mi baggage in tow. We stayed at The Hotel @ MIT. Very nice, it is a part of the Doubletree chain of hotels. We got there pretty early to check-in, so we had a leasurely breakfast at the Sidney Grill which shares the same lobby as the hotel. Our room was luxurious and we each have a queen size bed and four down/feather pillows (by us, I mean - my sister Chi and I.) We walked all over the MIT grounds and hopefully I will have time to post all the pictures with the name of the respective architect that designed the edifice. We also walked outside the Harvard grounds and went to dinner there. Naturally, everything was close since it was the day of the Thanksgiving Feast!

Normally, the day before Thanksgiving, I buy my turkey (anywhere from 15-21 lbs.) and all the goodies that come with (stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, corn bread, greens, pumpkin pie, etc. - all or a combination of.) I usually wake up at 5 a.m. Thanksgiving Day and start cleaning my bird and making all the other preparation, so that by 3 p.m. we can have our feast. I have done this since the first year I got married, never missed for six years. Thanksgiving is when I show how a good wife I can be. Usually we have guests but there were a couple of years when it was just him and I. One Thanksgiving, we went to Utah to join his parents and I was still the one who made the turkey. I have become a turkey expert! Another year, we spent at my Mom's and I was still the one who made the turkey!!! After the big feast I immediately start segregating the left over turkey, slice up all the white meat and separate them in packages good for a couple of days and freeze the rest, so Gene can have his favorite turkey sandwich for at least a week. Then, I gather all the dark meat and the carcass and boil them to make turkey soup which I would freeze in several bowls so we can have warm soup for a couple weeks during the cold winter nights.

Last year was the most special one, it was when we had the gallery/live-in loft in Santa Monica. We had 27 people total, his complete family, my complete family and a few friends. I made a total of 5 turkeys, yes! 5! 3 in the oven, 2 in the grill! An abundance of all the other trimmings. It was so lovely, to top it all of, Gene gave a speech and proclaimed how thank he is for me to be his wife. I should have been really happy, but by that time I have buried myself with resentment and contempt that I have made a face while he was doing his speech. That was when I know, something was very wrong, that our problem could be beyaon saving. It was a hard decision but after I contemplated divorce, I have planned this trip to be away from him during the most special holiday that we have always celebrated more than any other holiday. It was a very difficult decision but I felt I had to do it. It hurts me so much but it was the only way I know how to deal with all theconfusion I have been having as of late.


Friday, we got up late and took our time to get ready. We then rented a car to drive to Plymouth, Massachusetts about 35 miles south of Boston. We took a self guided walking tour of the Plimoth Plantation which presented a very pleasant view of American history. It was still quite early to wait for the 1627 Harvest Dinner (remake of the First Thanksgiving Meal) we were joining so we decided to drive to the Mayflower 2 which was the ship the pilgrims arrived with. We got back to the plantation just in time to have a quick look at the ift shop and then the dinner. The dinner was different and good. We didn't over stuff ourselves. This new medication really works quite good. In moments I would have cried, I couldn't. The feeling was so neutral it was weird at times. Although I must say, there are times when I have thoughts of death, NO not killing myself... just picturing myself dying on certain situations, like when we were at the subway waiting for the train, when the train arrived, I pictured myself grabbing onto the train and dragged... morbid --- i know! We drove around Downtown Boston for awhile and just get the feel of the city, I like Cambridge better. The center of higher education. Uhhmmm, makes me want to go to Harvard Graduate School of Design. If ever I don't get to have children, I will devote myself to the pursuit of higher learning!

Saturday, we got up early and took advantage of the half a day we have a car. How else? By going to Filene's and shopping. We didn't want to use th subway lagging all our shopping bags! Beside we were saving alot. There was a sale in the whole department store and the tax was only 5%. After returning the car, we took the bus and went back to Harvard Square and had a late lunch. We walked inside the Harvard grounds and was inspired to be more intelligent! We wanted to do more shopping, in fact I fell in love with a couple pairs of shoes but decided against it. My self control is admirable this days. We stopped by a few furniture stores to daydream how the new loft will look like. Oh yes! We are moving. I found a loft across from were I work and it was cheaper than my current rent (smaller as well but being a loft, i love it!). We are projecting to move by the 15th of December. Chi will move in after her lease is over. She will stay with me while she's back at school. And Gene won't be moving with me, he'll be moving somewhere else. More daydreaming during dinner at Legal Seafood where I had a good mojito and Chi had sangria and this most tasteful fried oysters!

Back at the hotel, blogging and later... packing our new matching set of luggage!

Thank God for another year of a chance to be happy in life...