Friday, June 18, 2004

summer.art.jazz.film. all night at the LACMA

It's 9:30 p.m. I'm here at the LACMA for the ALL NIGHT SUMMER ART.JAZZ.FILM. Another "L.A." thing to do! And I love it!

I tried going last year, but that was the time when we were setting up the gallery for our first opening reception. We finished hanging the paintings at 2:30 a.m. and went to LACMA only to see the queue a mile long wrapping the whole Wilshire/Fairfax block. We ended up going back to the gallery and focusing our lighting.

After a year of anticipation, here we are (Chi and I) queuing 200 ft. from the entrance and very determined to witness this spectacular event! I forgot to bring a book to enhance my waiting experience, luckily technology is kind enough to give a new meaning to blogging. With my Nokia 6820 I can type away in style... Gotta save battery and revert to my people-watching mode...

Two hours later... we are now 50 ft. from the entrance...

11:58 p.m. We are going in! Yey! we made it before midnight!

1:30 p.m. It was all worth it! Thanks to my new found FREEDOM - I got to go...

Verdict: L.A. do have some culture as I previously dispute. Not everyone was there for the art (an exhibit of "Conceptual Art" and oils cumulatively titled "Inventing the Race".) It's a place to see and be seen. For some reason, the jazz band stopped playing way too early in the long summer night but the freebies are worth while and the food was ghetto good (spam burgers and pineapple skewers with coconut sprinkles tipped with cherry) bought from a Tiki Hut. The freedom wall was getting a lot of freedom contributed to it. A couple of brawls and an endless supply of freaks who are high in X! Great way to REALLY people watch while lounging on the modern lounge chairs sprawled all over the grounds. The film was very Van Gogh-ish being projected on a not so flat wall. People got drunk. But I mainly enjoyed it because ... I CAN thus I WILL!

"Beyond Geometry examines the role of radically simplified form and systematic strategies in the evolution of vanguard art across the West in the decades following World War II. Covering Central and Western Europe and North and South America, Beyond Geometry is the first exhibition to treat these issues in a broad international context." (from website)
I did enjoy the Conceptual Art exhibit from the 50's and 60's and was puzzled on how someone keep track of all this objects of pseudo art or anti-process art or however one wish to refer to it. I would have better enjoyed lingering on if it wasn't so damn crowded and people trying to pretend they understood. The point was to NOT need to understand but just to condone and let the artist be. That's my take on it.

"Inventing the Race" was interesting in an obviously redundant manner. "From Spanish and Indian, Mestizo," "From Spaniards and Blacks, Mulatto,"... so and so forth... it was an intriguing look at how 18th century Mexico have their own racial hierarchy and how it could be viewed in our deniably anti-racial-discrimination initiative as higher society...

Hhhhmmm... so much for a career in art critiquing...