Monday, May 03, 2004

Spring in New York City

We left Long Beach Airport at 5 p.m. and got to Aukland a little after 6 p.m. waited there till about 9 p.m. to see if we could get in to the flight to JFK but there was too many stand by's for that flight and we didn't get the chance to be one of the lucky ones. We left the airport and went to Day's Inn to stay the night to try again Friday morning for the 7 a.m. flight. Chi's ex picked us up from Day's Inn and drove us to SanFo for a late dinner. We went to a diner with a waiter that sucks and decided not to tip him because, not only did he suck, he was rude and abrasive. He ran after me! All of us made that decision together, but they decided to run ahead of me to the car since we saw the waiter ran after previous customers. I had to tell him what was wrong and he gave me the minimim wage speech to make me feel guilty. I wasn't guilty because I believe that no matter what your job is, you have to give your best specially to customers/clients because they could make or break you. I blame what happened that night for my bad karma today... but I want to talk about New York....

New York is like my mistress... I am passionate about the city but would not leave L.A. to live there.

We took a cab from the airport which was a first since we either rent a car (which we did 10 years ago!) or we take the shuttle to the subway and take the subway to Manhattan. Which we thought have more character... My sister's friend Patty lost her camera in the cab... We stayed at the W Hotel in Time Square (47th & Broadway). The center of the action. The W was everything I expected and more. It was cool! I think it's a pre-requisite for their employees to be good looking cause each and everyone who works there were either so handsome or so pretty!!!! We got there at 4 p.m. and after checking out our room and facilities, we went to the TKTS across the street from our hotel and bought same day tickets for "The Boy From Oz" which stars Hugh Jackman, had a cheap lunch and met Paul's brother, we then went straight to H&M for some quick shopping and of we go to see our Broadway show, it was 2 blocks from our hotel!

The Boy From Oz was better that good! Hugh Jackman was amazing in it. It's the first time I didn't fall asleep watching a musical. It was that good! It wsa the life story of Peter Allen, great songwriter, ex-husband to Liza Minelli, turned out to be gay and died of AIDS in the early 90's. The song "I Honestly Love You", sang by Olivia Newton-John was one of his. We tried to wait outside to see if we could get a glimpse of the hot Hugh Jackman but it was taking too long and we had to get ready for our next itinerary... So we just took pictures in front of the wall where he had a larger than life image on it.

We asked the concierge of what the hottest clubs in Manhattan are because we were going to club hop... The old Limelight is back but with a different name, he mentioned a few other but I could remember now. We just ended up below the W which was simply called the Whiskey. Normally a $20 cover but because we're hotel guests, we get in free! We got drunk and we went crazy on the dance floor. I behaved though, a just danced with Chi's gay friend Paul, so I could be as wild as I want to and not worry about leading him on. It was so nice to just go straight upstairs to our room and not needing to take a cab or the subway. The Dj was great that night, too! We got hungry afterwards so we went downstairs and had some hotdogs and kebabs on the street.

The following day, we got up late... I can't remember the last time I slept that good. The beds and pillows were all down feather and very soft and comfy. We went straight to China Town and had some dimsum and off we go shopping. Don't even ask me how many purses I got!!! I am embarass to even say! We went back to another H&M location, the one on 5th and 51st. Did more shopping there... Aaaahhh! Why did I not marry rich? This is soooo much FUN! It's been awhile since I shopped like this... I am very guilty but who cares... I work my ass off...

Back to the hotel and my ex-coworker/friend from Lor Calma called to meet for dinner. She lives and works in Manhattan. I was excited to see her. Except for longer hair, she looks exactly the same as I remember her. We went to Blue Fin (restaurant at the ground floor of the W) and had some fancy meal. We talked alot about architecture and everyone we know. She's doing well. She's got her own architectural rendering firm! Cool! She left and it was already about 1:30 a.m. I was just going to flake on my sister and her friends but they saw me when I walked Agness out the hotel. We ended up just going back to the Whiskey since it was too convenient... I didn't stay long, I didn't even drink that night. We had to get up at 5 a.m. to go back to the airport. Chi was the last one to come up and I had to come down get her to give her our room key. Patty got a call from the guy she met at a french bistro and so the 7 a.m. flight got moved to 11:20 a.m. More bedtime for me!!! I love that bed! I ordered in and had breakfast in bed... nice!

Back to reality and to a sucky life in hot weather L.A.

Soon I will see my mistress again and her perfect four season weather...